Prostate cancer can affect anyone
All men are at risk for prostate cancer. The good news is, through screenings and early diagnosis, prostate cancer can be effectively treated. The Genitourinary Cancer Program at Main Line Health provides the latest options for screening, diagnosis and treatment for prostate cancer.
Early detection is your best hope for a cure
Prostate cancer may grow slowly and have no symptoms in the early stages. That’s why it’s so important to talk to your doctor about being screened for prostate cancer.
Screening for prostate cancer may include:
- Physical exam of the rectum to check for abnormalities.
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test, to measure the level of a protein produced by the prostate gland. A high level of PSA may be a risk factor for prostate cancer.
If prostate cancer becomes more advanced, you may have symptoms such as blood in your urine, impotence, problems urinating and possibly loss of bladder control.
Accurate diagnosis for prostate cancer
At Main Line Health we’re dedicated to providing prostate screening and early diagnosis. Our diagnostic techniques include:
- Advanced imaging, such as CT (computed tomography) urogram and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan
- Prostate gland biopsy to specifically test for cancer cells
- Transrectal ultrasound to check for tumors
An early diagnosis can help you get the most effective treatment for prostate cancer.
Targeted treatment to get you back on track
The team of cancer specialists at Main Line Health have experience treating all stages of prostate cancer. When possible, we offer minimally invasive treatment options so you can recover more quickly, with fewer side effects. Your treatment plan may include:
- Brachytherapy – This internal beam radiation therapy makes it possible to target low-dose radiation directly to the prostate cancer using special implants.
- Chemotherapy – This treatment uses medication alone, or in combination with radiation, to kill cancer cells.
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) – This form of external beam radiation therapy uses a computer-based, 3D planning and delivery system to target cancerous tumors with exact precision.
- Minimally invasive, robotic surgery – Main Line Health offers surgical precision for better outcomes and faster recovery time.
- TrueBeam therapy – This is targeted radiation that delivers treatment directly to the tumor while leaving nearby tissue untouched.
Our goal is to help you find and treat prostate cancer effectively so you can get back to doing the things you enjoy.