Main Line Health’s mission is to provide a comprehensive range of safe, high-quality health services, complemented by related educational and research activities that meet health care needs and improve the quality of life in the communities we serve.
One of the ways Main Line Health fulfills this mission is to provide financial assistance to those members of the community who are in need. There are several different programs that have been established for this purpose. Each of the programs has a unique set of criteria which must be met in order to qualify for financial assistance. The patient is responsible for seeking the appropriate advice from third parties to assist them in making the correct decisions when applying for these programs. Please remember that it is the patient's ultimate responsibility to apply, and provide the necessary information to qualify for the program. Main Line Health cannot ensure that the patient will qualify for such programs.
No patient will be refused emergency treatment at Main Line Health because of their financial status.
Main Line Health provides financial counselors at each hospital to help patients find ways to meet their financial obligations for the services provided to them. Specifically financial counselors:
- help patients apply for government assistance programs such as medical assistance or Main Line Health’s Charity Care Program
- review to see if patient will qualify for uninsured discount
- assist with extending payment arrangements
Any patient may request to speak to a financial counselor when being treated at Main Line Health. Uninsured patients who are admitted to the hospital will automatically receive help from a financial counselor.
For questions about Main Line Health’s Financial Counseling program, please call 484.337.1970.
Option 1: government sponsored medical assistance
There are a number of available programs from the Federal, State and Local levels such as medical assistance which can help pay the medical bills of people who have low income and cannot afford medical care. Often, patients are unaware of these programs or are unable to access them due to the cumbersome enrollment process required to receive these benefits. For your convenience, Financial Counselors can help you apply for Medical Assistance to determine if you qualify.
Option 2: charity care/financial assistance
Main Line Health offers charity care/financial assistance in accordance with our policy for those who do not qualify for medical assistance based on a patient’s annual income and a patient’s household size. For patients with incomes of 300 percent or less of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, 100 percent Charity Care is offered. For patients with income between 300 percent and 500 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines significant charity discounts are offered. Main Line Health Financial Counselors can assist you with the Charity Care/Financial Assistance application to fulfill your financial obligation.
Option 3: uninsured patient discount
Uninsured patients whose income is in excess of 500 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines will be eligible for a discount based on the following guidelines:
- For all Inpatient services, a discount of 60 percent off total charges will be applied.
- For all Outpatient services, a discount of 40 percent off total charges will be applied.
- Emergency Department services, those treated and released, a discount of 40 percent off total charges will be applied with a maximum out-of-pocket of $1,000 for hospital services (excludes physician services). Emergency services are not conditioned or delayed based upon ability to pay or payment in advance.
- Behavioral Health, Substance Abuse, and Cosmetic services may have a separate fee schedule. Please contact Financial Counseling at 484.337.1970 for pricing information.
Please see Main Line Health’s Charity Care and Financial Assistance Policy for additional details.
Extended payment arrangements
If you are unable to pay the patient responsibility portion of your bill at the time of service or at the time of discharge, you may qualify for an extended, interest free payment plan. If you need assistance to extend payments, please call a Financial Counselor at 484.337.1970.